and the foreground, and underground.. There really are bricks all over the place here at the Harper Estuary. For the unfamiliar, a historical primer on Yukon Harbor and the Harper Brick Factory:
In the early 20th century the Harper Brick Factory was built on top of the salt marshes and beaches of Harper Estuary on the east shore of Kitsap Peninsula, where Harper Creek flows into Yukon Harbor. During more than 30 years of operation, from about 1900-1932, the mining and manufacturing facility shipped bricks via flat-bottomed boats, called scows, out of Yukon Harbor to points all around the Puget Sound, and also dumped reject bricks directly into intertidal and estuarine areas. Later, a road (Olympiad Drive) was constructed over the nearby Harper Creek, with only an undersized, under-road culvert providing access for the inflow and outflow of tides.
Today, this area represents a severely damaged ecosystem; obstructions between land and marine areas include the dumped bricks, other roadway fill, the undersized culvert, a relict roadway embankment, and relict bulkhead. Tidal processes are seriously impaired, and plants and animals that might normally populate the estuary and adjacent salt marshes may no longer be found. Even so, this area is well frequented by walkers, kayakers, and often simply “parkers” – people sitting in their cars and enjoying the seaside view momentarily. It is an informal, and unofficial, mini-park. Adjacent to Olympiad Drive, the rejected bricks and other fill have created a decent parking area, access to the beach, and a rudimentary gravel boat launch.
Visit this excellent site for more historical information about the Harper area: